Saturday, September 15, 2012

Eugene

09/15/2012
It has been a month since I started my trek!
I arrived in Eugene yesterday. Let me fill you in on my days between Sisters and Eugene.

09/12/12
I left Sisters on a very cold morning around 0700 hrs. I bundled as best I could and bought a skullcap style head warmer to wear under my helmet. The air was full of smoke from the Pole Creek fire burning to the southwest.
I had a 14 mile ride to the McKenzie Pass (5300'+). It was not a steep ride and most of it was through a forested road. Near the pass, the lava beds became the dominant feature. The pass was at the Dee Wright Observatory and I stopped there for pictures and a .5 mile loop trail through some of the lava fields.
I was above the smoke at this point, but the smoke did obscure the view of the Sisters Mountains. I was able to see Mt. Washington and Jefferson to the north without a problem. The wind was blowing out of the northeast, so I had it pushing me up the pass and over the other side! What a blessing that was!
I headed down to the McKenzie River with wind gusts that pushed at me from the side sometimes. I had to be careful for the first few miles. As I headed down to the river, I came back into the smoke-zone (3-4,000'). The road passed through some meadows and an old road over the pass which was used by settlers for many years.
As I got closer to the river, the road became windy and shaded by all the trees. The temperature warmed-up and I was able to remove most of my warm clothing.
I got to the junction of Hwy 126 around 1130. I stopped at the Ranger Station to get a map of the local campgrounds. A couple of them were closed, so I am glad I stopped. The ranger even suggested one that I ended up using.
At McKenzie Bridge, the espresso shop and cafe was there and open. I was glad as I was hoping for a mocha and a sandwich. I got my wish and had both while chatting with the owner and her son.
I headed down-river and still had a tailwind! I stopped at Harbick's Store to stock-up on food for my camping stay. I also charged my phone next to the ice machine!
I only had another few miles to the Delta Campground (NFS). It was a primitive campground ($16) next to an arm of the McKenzie River. I found a good spot and set-up my tent.
I used a pump-style water station (they called it a hydrant) to fill my water bag. I then kept following the sun and placing the bag on the ground to warm it up. It did not get too warm as the sun was spotty among the tall Douglas Fir trees.
I took the nature trail and enjoyed the old-growth forest that survived years of logging in the area. The water was pristine and I could see all the plants growing under the water. It was peaceful and beautiful. I must have been the only one to walk it in a while as I kept walking into spider webs!
After the walk I found a tree with a nicely placed nail to use for my water-bag/shower set-up. I took a quick shower, hitting the important spots. I felt much better after cleaning-up. I only had an apple for dinner as the tuna melt sandwich I had at lunch was still making me feel full.
I saw a few trucks and one RV drive through my part of the campground but I think I was the only camper that night. I walked around part of the camping loop and did not see another soul.
Off to bed for my last night of camping. It was a quiet and dark night as the moon is in its last quarter. I think I heard a deer walking close to my tent that night. I knew I could sleep-in until 0630, as I was only going about 25 miles the next day.

09/13/12
Up about 0615 and started picking up. Another dry and cool morning. It was not as cold as Sisters had been, but it was cool. I had breakfast and got under way just before 0800 hrs.
I rode through Blue River and took a look at Sue O'Brien's house. I saw a car out front, but she had not returned by phone call from a couple of days ago, so I did not bother her. It was also before 0830. I rode past McKenzie High School and got back out on the main highway.
When I got to Vida, I stopped at the store and had some water. I called Nettie from there and told her I was getting close to her house. It was only another 4 miles to her place.
She was waiting in the driveway as I cycled down to her house. She was very welcoming and I was glad to see her. I missed her at last year's reunion. Nettie is a classmate of Dave's. She and her family have a beautiful home on the river.
She fed me lunch after a while and also invited me to sleep there that night. I had not made plans for the night as I was not sure of her situation and whether she had room for me. I was delighted when she offered and accepted wholeheartedly!
She called Phyllis Downey and left a message for her. We were hoping to visit with her and Bill. They just live on the other side of the river from Nettie. Phyllis is also another of Dave's classmates. She has some serious health issues and did not answer either one of Netties calls.
Nettie suggested we visit with Edna McClure (another classmate) who recently moved into the area from Portland. She was home and invited us over. This was Nettie's first visit to Edna's new house, so it was a bit of an adventure getting there, but we found it without much of a problem.
We had a great visit with Edna. She has a modular home on a hillside (1.5 acres). Nettie brought an apple cobbler and I got some ice cream at the local store. We enjoyed the dessert while chatting about old times.
We headed back to Nettie's in the late afternoon. Nettie started spaghetti dinner while I showered and did some laundry. Nettie's daughter (Holly), son-in-law (Kelly) and grandson (Luke) all sat down for dinner about 1900 hrs. We had a good visit and Kelly was able to give me some help with my route to the Whiteaker district of Eugene.
I couch-surfed on Nettie's couch and it was comfortable. Up about 0630 the next morning and started getting ready to leave. I was waiting until 0900 to let some of the traffic get off the road. Nettie got up late (for her) 0800, and I was making oatmeal. We had a nice morning visit before I left. I hope to see her at the reunion next week!

09/14/12
On the road just after 0900 and I had to wait next to the 'flagger' as the roadwork crew let cars pass in their due time. I had a tailwind pushing me into Leaburg, Walterville and Springfield.
When I got to Springfield, I stopped at a 7-11 to get some money. I also called my uncle as I did not call him the day before. It ended up that by calling him, the timing worked out so that I met 3 cyclists on their way to the Whiteaker area of Eugene for lunch! Sandy, Sharon and Jeff were riding from Springfield to the Laughing Planet, for lunch. Jeff invited me to tag-along which was wonderful. He knew the ins and outs of the Willamette bike path and got me to the Whiteaker Hostel by noon. I would have spent at least 30 minutes looking at my maps to decipher which path I should have taken.
All 3 waited for me to check-in and drop-off my panniers at the hostel. Then we went for lunch at the Laughing Planet (natural foods). When we were locking our bikes at the bike stand in front of the restaurant. Sandy said that the Kryptonite lock company does not insure their locks for 2 cities in the USA. One is NYC and the other is Eugene! Bike stealing capital of the pacific northwest!!
We had a great lunch. I learned a lot about them and we had a good conversation. I left them to continue their trip and I headed back to the hostel. Jeff told me about all the good restaurants in the Whiteaker area before we parted.
I have the lower berth of a bunkbed and then also share the area with a room with a double-bed. The restroom is in the bunkbed portion of the room. The double-bed room has its own door but has to come into my room to use the restroom.
No one arrived to fill the top bunk. The room is right next to the office, so I could hear the phone conversations as calls came in looking for rooms. I tried to get to sleep at 2100 hrs, but I could not help listening to all the conversations in the office. I turned-on the light because it sounded like a couple of late arrivals were going to use the double-bed room.
I was working on a crossword puzzle when five people came into the room (2130-2200 hrs). The hostel manager, the couple renting the double-bed room and a couple of their friends or relatives. The relatives and manager left and the couple went into their room. Thin walls and noisy neighbors!
They both took a shower and were in and out of their room and the bathroom for at least an hour. I woke up around 0330 to hear them having sex. When they were finished, the woman got up and took a shower at 0400 hrs! They were at it again as I was getting ready to leave this morning!
I am wearing ear plugs tonight! They have them at the front desk for free!
I left this morning around 0800, headed for the Sweet Life coffee/pastry shop and enjoyed a mocha. I then walked downtown to catch the shuttle to Autzin Stadium for the U of O game against Tennessee Tech.
I had a great seat right on the 50 yard line. It was in the 58th row, but it was right just about in the middle of the section. U of O destroyed Tenn. Tech and I left with 10 minutes left in the game (63-14 when I left). It was a fun time!! Go Ducks!
The transit station is right next to the central library, so I stopped to use the computer.
My blog has now been updated and I have 10 minutes remaining on the computer.
I will leave for Junction City (14 miles) on Monday AM. I will ride to Eileen and Larry's so that I can store my bike there while Dave and I sightsee. Dave will get into PDX around 0930 and with a 2 hours drive to Junction City, should arrive just before lunch on Monday.
All is well and the weather is still warm!
Aloha for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment