Saturday, September 1, 2012

Hello from Portland!
It has been several days since I have found an open library to update my blog.

Monday 8/27:
Tom was up early with me to make me breakfast. He said he wanted me to leave with a 'full tank.'
He was kind enough to make scrambled eggs with sides of fruit and toast. Beth also joined us at the table.
I left their place around 0700 hours, heading for Enumclaw.
I stopped at a 7-ll a few miles from their house to get some cash at the ATM. Using Beth's directions to the Burke-Gilman (Bumpy Gilman) bike path, I made the turn at Matthew's Beach and got on the bike path.
I passed the U of W campus and Husky Stadium, knowing that I would be getting off the bike path to keep heading south along Lake Washington. I saw cranes at the stadium. It looked like they were adding seats in the nosebleed section of the stadium.
I remembered several sections of the path as it headed to Seward Beach. I became a bit disoriented going thru a residential area and a nice British chap stopped to help me. He was cycling to work and got me back on the right path. Nice guy, expecting his first child in a month or two.
Got past the Renton Municipal Airport and to the bridge over the Cedar River. I found the Cedar River Trail which is another Rails-to-Trails path. It was beautiful riding along the river. I took this route the last time I visited Sierra and Mack in Fairhaven. This time I kept heading east, toward Maple Valley.
Since the path did not intersect a city street, I asked a woman about the route to Enumclaw and if the Cedar River Trail would lead me there. She suggested taking the Green trail where the pavement ended.
I did not like the sound of "pavement ended," but what the heck? She was right and I took the turn for the Green trail. It was gravel and was heading for Lake Wilderness near Covington.
I rode on the gravel for a mile or two and then saw a ramp up to a street. I took the ramp and used city streets to get back to the 169, leading to Enumclaw. A bonus was that I found a coffee shop, at the turn back onto the 169. I had a mocha and my apple with almond butter. Yummy! I also snagged a couple of cookies for later.
While at the coffee shop with WiFi, I reserved a room at the King's Valu Inn in Enumclaw. It is on the way out of town so easy access for Tuesday's ride.
I got to Enumclaw about 1530 hours and checked into the hotel. I passed a bike shop on my way to the hotel so returned there without my panniers to have the mechanic check my spoke tension. It was funny, because the mechanic/owner, had the device to check the spoke tension, but he could not figure-out how to use it!! He used the old-school finger technique and everything was fine.
Did some laundry, ate some food I purchased at the Safeway and went to bed.

Tuesday 8/28:
I was planning on riding from Enumclaw to Silver Springs Campground; I thought it would be about 50 miles. As I headed up to Mt Ranier Nat'l Forest, I saw the mileage sign to Cayuse Pass. It indicated it was 40 miles to the pass and the campground was 10 miles before the pass. I figured I would play-it-by-ear and see what time it was and how I felt when I got to the campground.
I had a bite to eat at Greenwater. Met another cyclist heading west. He had started in Prudhomme Bay, Alaska, 2 months ago. He was heading back home to W. Seattle. He liked Sisyphos!
On my way up the hill, I watched a chipmunk narrowly avoid being squished by a car, viewed the White River and its milky waters and breathed-in the pine/fir/cedar tree-smells! It was awesome.
I got to Silver Springs about 1100. I filled up my water bottles and had a bite to eat. I figured I would continue on and head for Packwood. The last 6 miles were steeper than I had remembered, but then I am three years older (maybe that had something to do with it!). The view of Mt Ranier was spectacular! It was clearly visible with some lower clouds below the peak. Amazing! A car stopped to take-in the view as well. A cyclist from Michigan was one of the passengers. He took a look at Sisyphos and we talked about touring. He is not a tourist, but cycles regularly. Nice guy, on his way to a wedding at the Timberline Lodge on Mt. Hood.
Up and over Cayuse Pass around 1330 hrs. The elevation sign was not there, so I did not take a picture of Sisyphos, Blinky and the sign. 16 miles down to the highway to Packwood. The first 6 miles were pretty steep and a good downhill. The next 10 miles was mostly downhill, but with a headwind at times. I was tired when I got to the highway to Packwood.
Had a bite to eat and started the 7 mile ride to Packwood. More headwind as I remembered from 3 years ago. I made it to a hotel, and relaxed. The library was closed, but found a cafe with WiFi, so was able to e-mail folks. No cell service for a few days.

Wed. 8/29:
Left Packwood about 0700 hours and knew I would not ride far. I had to plan my ride to encompass campgrounds (few and far between) or towns (few and far between)! I rode to Randle and beat the headwind by a few hours.
The route was bucolic with lots of grazing cattle. Along the road's shoulder I saw the chalk-outline (in this case, spray-painted outline) of an elk. I laughed, thinking it was a joke and turned around to take a picture. As I turned, I saw more spray paint in the middle of the road. A debris field was labeled and lots of smaller circles indicating places where parts of something had been in the road. I realized this was not a joke. Someone had hit an elk and lots of debris had hit the road.
I stopped at the first gas station/store in Randle and told the manager about the spray-painted outline. He said that a local cop had been hauling-ass down the road and hit an elk. When the sheriff came to his aid, the cop was OK, but one side of his car was demolished. The sheriff, to joke with the cop, did the spray-painted outline of the elk as well as all the other painted areas on the road! Crazy world out there. The manager was mad at the cop for driving so fast as he was not responding to a call.
I hung around the tiny town of Randle for a hour or so. The library was closed, but I was able to use their WiFi but sitting outside the building. Picked up some groceries for the next day, had a mocha and an apple, and watched kids playing with two dogs that had been left as orphans by a passer-by the day before.
The coffee kiosk lady was very concerned that the dogs would be hit so she called the sheriff about them.
Headed for Iron Creek campground and arrived before noon. A beautiful, primitive campground run by the NFS. It had a nice loop trail that encircled the campground and took me by Iron Creek. I took lots of photos which I will download later.
A quiet night and early rise as I had a long climb first thing in the morning.

Thurs 8/30:
Iron Creek to Cougar today. I got out of my sleeping bag just before 0500 hrs. I takes about 2 hours to pick up, roll-up and pack my camping gear. Also included in the 2 hours is time for breakfast and a look at the map.
I started out just before 0700 and started climbing almost immediately. It was a beautiful and quiet road that followed the rise to Elk Pass (just over 4000'). It was steep at the outset and fortunately the incline mellowed after a mile or two.
I was again enjoying the quietude, smells and scenery of the forest. No one in sight and only the occasional car. About halfway up, I passed a trailer or some type of domicile tucked back off the road. As I was just passing this residence, I heard a dog start to bark. OK, so they had a dog. I kept climbing and then caught some movement in my rear-view mirror. Two dogs were chasing me up the hill. One dog was a pit-bull looking dog and the other was a pee-pee dog. I got off the bike before they got close and told them to 'go home.' They stopped and it was a stare-down for a few seconds. The pit-bull turned and headed down the hill but the pee-pee dog stood his ground. I walked downhill a few steps, threatening the dog with my very fatal-looking water bottle. Finally, he turned back home. Weird. I probably made their day!
Got to the top of Elk Pass and again, no elevation sign. The downhill was short and then it was level with some minor climbing. It was strange that I could not get any momentum for the slight climbs.
I came to a great view of the east side of Mt. St. Helens! Again, it was clear and the views were awesome. The signage indicated the blast happened in 1980. The valley in front of me had been completely scorched and devastated by the blast. Now, it was green again and looked healthy. The slopes of the volcano were still barren, though.
I think it was somewhere near this area, that Blinky decided to fly from her perch behind my bike saddle. I did not realize it until later. There were a few bumps on the downhill which appeared after the view of Mt. St. Helens. Perhaps one of them dislodged her. She is a pirate duck and used to fending for herself. Good luck, Blinky!
Made it to a Ranger station about 20 miles outside of Cougar. Stopped for lunch and a restroom stop. The ride to Cougar was tedious. It was along the Swift Reservoir and had some nice scenery, but again, I could not get any momentum on the level parts or even some of the slight downhills. Nothing was dragging except my legs!
Cougar was a tiny town. No library, but a Post Office. I found a room for the night and was able to do laundry! Portland tomorrow!

Friday 8/31:
Running out of time on the computer......
Some climbs and downhills into Portland. Had narrow roads and then a wide shoulder into Battle Ground, WA.
Stopped at a Safeway to figure out how I would ride thru Portland and most importantly, where I would stay. It took an hour to use the i-phone to find a hotel and make reservations. Hotels.com did the job for me.
The nice wide shoulder into Battle Ground disappeared shortly after the intersection with the Safeway. My only options were to stay on the road and have cars change lanes to get by me or ride on the nice, wide sidewalk. I opted for the sidewalk.
It had its driveways and debris, but I tried to be careful. I went past a recycling center and think I picked-up some metal on the sidewalk. A bit further on and I had a rear flat tire. I pulled into a shaded area near a business and changed the flat. I found the metal piece, pulled it out and got to work.
I used my CO2 cartridge to help inflate the tire and that got 60 psi into it quickly. I pumped it up to 85 psi for the road. Used the restroom at the business and got back on my way.
I was making my way thru Vancouver using a Portland cycling map that included Vancouver. I stopped for a snack (my favorite: apple and almond butter). I shared what was left of the apple core, with a friendly squirrel.
The route was well-marked to the bridge over the Columbia and into Portland. The path had several pedestrians and a few cyclists. I had another bridge to go over and then I was in Portland. The signage was somewhat confusing to get to MLK Blvd. I was heading back over a bridge when I stopped to look at my map. The traffic was backed-up getting onto the bridge and a lady stopped and asked if I needed directions. She steered me in the right direction and I was headed for my hotel.
I got to the hotel around 1500 hours. It is near the convention center and close to the MAX (light rail) line.
The hotel has seen better days, but it will do. I was able to bring Sisyphos into the elevator and my room, with no questions asked.
Enjoying Portland on a holiday weekend. Heading east along the Old Columbia River Hwy on Monday.

Sat. 9/1:
You are now up-to-date. Thanks for reading along.
I forgot to mention that I noticed Blinky was missing as I was riding into Cougar. I stopped to pick-up a towel that was in the road (good for cleaning the bike) and noticed she was gone. Flown to coop... gone but not forgotten. Enjoy the road again Blink. I will not change the name of my blog because you are gone.
I will keep my eye out for another companion. The road provides......

2 comments:

  1. Hey Peggy,
    It was great riding with you for a couple miles today. I hope the rest of your ride goes well and the head-winds stay away.

    Cheers,
    Matt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Matt,
      I flew home with my husband on 9/22. I had a bike shop box-up my bike and just received it on Tuesday.
      I put her back together yesterday so I will take her out for a ride today.
      Hope all is well. Peggy

      Delete