Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Sequim

I left Deb's and Wayne's on Monday morning, heading for the ferry at Ft. Casey. I was able to catch the 0845 ferry to Pt. Townsend. I had a mocha, apricot and 2 choc. chip cookies (from Mrs. Deb's oven) at a coffee shop I found last year when Dave and I took the ferry to visit Deb.
As I left Pt. Townsend, I was looking for the ODT (Olympic Discovery Trail) which is a ped/bike trail that goes all the way to Pt. Angeles. I did not find it right away, but did find Discovery Dr. which paralleled the highway and would intersect the ODT. It was a nice quiet road for the most part.
When I intersected Hwy 101, it was very busy with truck traffic. The ODT directed me off the 101 and onto Old Gardiner Rd. which was a wonderful, tree-lined rural road. It occasionally intersected the 101, but it took me most of the way into Sequim.
At Blyn, a small town just east of Sequim, I stopped at a market/deli to get a sandwich and eat lunch. An older man who was cycling stuck-up a conversation with me and ended-up having lunch with me.
He is a semi-retired Vet, named Steve. He and his family were renting a house near the Dungeness Spit. He was out for a recreational ride. I was finally able to ask a vet about why ruminants chew their cuds but horses do not (even tho they eat the same food). He told me about the two different evolutionary tracks and how their intestinal systems work. Very cool.
He was heading back to Sequim, so we rode together on the ODT. I was going to stop at the Sequim Bay State Park which was only about 2 miles from our lunch stop. We rode right by it as I was not paying close enough attention and he was telling a story. We ended up in downtown Sequim. He turned to head back to the Spit and I looked at the map to get my bearings.
Looked like I was about 15 miles from Mary and Tony's. I gave them a call and left a message that I would be arriving a day early. I stayed on the ODT thru Sequim which was lovely. They have made use of old train tressles. Wonderful tressles over streams/rivers in the area. I came back out onto the 101 at O'Brien St. which is the road that takes me to Mary's.
It was another 3-4 miles of pretty much uphill climbing to their house. Tony passed me on his motorcycle and pulled over to chat. He was on his way home from work. After another 30 minutes of climbing, I met him at the house on Headwaters Lne. It was a 64 mile day. Phew!
Mary made it home about an hour later. Their house is still being worked-on. I am staying upstairs. I have a shower and toilet in my bathroom, but no sink. Garrett is in the next bedroom and he has all three. He was not home last night, so I took advantage of his sink, when Conan (the black cat) was not nesting in the sink!
Mary made ravioli and a big salad for dinner. They are both doing well. Tony is working for a yacht manufacturer, doing the cabinetry. Mary is still at Patty's on Peabody, doing hair. Tony also drives a bus and is doing a 2 day tour this weekend.
Mary and Tony were kind enough to lend me a car while they are working. I drove Mary into Pt. Angeles for work this a.m. and have been sightseeing since. I drove up to Hurricane Ridge for a spectacular view of the Olympic Range. The clouds obstructed a complete view of the ridges, but it was fantastic! I had lunch at the 'Oven Spoonful' and drove out onto Ediz Spit.
I am at the library now doing my blog. I will get Mary around 1600 hrs. I am planning on leaving Thurs. a.m.
Heading back to Seattle to visit with Tom and Beth. Sounds like they can meet me at the ferry on Sat. morning, so I can follow them back to their house. That gives me two days to get to Edmonds which will make the ride easier. I was thinking I would have to get from Mary's to Kingston (to catch the ferry to Edmonds) on Thurs. This way I can split the ride into two days and still have lots of time for sightseeing on Friday.
All is well. Blinky says "Arrrrrrrgh!" Sisyphos says (bzzzzzzzzz) with a clean chain! Poot!

No comments:

Post a Comment