Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Waiting for the shoe to drop

My last day at Mary and Tony's started out beautifully sunny. I went with Mary to walk the dogs before she headed off the work. She took the truck to work and left her Hyundai with me for the day.
I stayed awhile so I could continue reading Mary's book, the "Q-Tip Conspiracy" about Sierra's life
with brain cancer. I was in a bit of a depression when I left for Sequim.
I drove to the Dungeness County Park and took in the view. I stayed along the coastline north of Sequim and enjoyed the bay views. I decided to check-out Mike's Bike Shop in town, so I headed in that direction.
I looked in the shop and did not see anything I needed. I headed for the Post Office as I told Mary I would mail a letter for her and I had a couple of post cards to mail. I then headed to Brian's Sporting Goods to take a look around. I was looking for something a bit warmer to wear (on my torso).
I came up short on the turn to Brian's so I was making my way thru a Rite-Aid parking lot. I made a right hand turn and hit something hard with both right tires. I pulled into a parking space and was not looking forward to what I might find.
I saw that the right front tire was flat. I pinched the tire between the rim and a concrete island that extended from the front door of the Rite-Aid, into the parking lot. I opened the trunk and looked for a spare tire.
I could not find the spare. As it turns out, it would not have helped. That was when I discovered the rear right tire also suffered the same fate as the front. Two pinch flats on the right side!!! I could not believe what I had done to Mary's car.
I had my AAA card, so I called for roadside assistance. The man I gave my report to, called a local tow company (Evergreen) and said he would be there within 60 minutes. All I could do was pace, curse at myself and knock my head against the wall. I told the clerk in the Rite-Aid what I had done and he had no comment at all. The island had been painted yellow at the end I hit. The yellow on top was pretty much worn off from people doing just what I had done. The edges were dinged from the same thing.
The tow got there in about 45 minutes, which was not bad. I asked him to take me to a Discount Tire shop just down the road. I had looked it up on my i-phone. AAA paid for the tow, but I gave the driver a tip.
Discount tire was not busy and got right on the repair. They found the closest tires they could to the stock tires on the car. Keep in mind the car only has 2500 miles on it; she bought it in June 2012! Man I feel so bad about what I did...
Two Michelins later, the car is ready to go. The pressure sensors were not damaged, so that was good.
Headed back to Port Angeles to get some lunch and fill-up the car with gas.
Came back to Mary's before the last shoe dropped. I just told Mary and she hasn't even gone to look at the rims. She said after all we have been thru, this is nothing.
All's well, but I still feel bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment